As the owner of a trucking company, you know how important it is to meet the requirements for random drug and alcohol testing in South Dakota for your drivers. You probably also know that this testing is not the only requirement for driver eligibility, but you might not be sure how to obtain the information you need or what some of the requirements are.
That’s where Prorate Services, LLC comes in. We specialize in keeping trucking companies up to speed and in compliance with current laws. This includes making sure that your company’s driver qualification files are up to date and working with your drivers to compile and obtain all required information.
These driver qualification regulations are enforced by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) under Part 391 of the agency’s regulations and apply to all interstate drivers and the majority of intrastate drivers who drive commercial motor vehicles. The requirements must be met whether a trucking company has one or multiple drivers.
We’ll ask your drivers to provide the following information:
- The driver’s initial motor vehicle report or driving record
- A valid driver’s license that corresponds to the class of the vehicle they are driving
- Any other necessary paperwork, such as a driver’s application from the Department of Transportation and documentation regarding any violations
- Proof of medical qualification (regulations require that a driver receive a physical every two years, or more often in certain cases)
- Proof of the required experience and training to operate the vehicles being driven
- Proof of successful completion of a road test
- Proof of a successful Safety Performance History background check
- Proof that they are at least 21 years old (this law may be lowered to 18 years old in some states when intrastate driving is performed)
- Proof that they can read and speak English at a level that allows them to communicate with law enforcement and the public
According to the FMCSA regulations, all of the above documentation, along with an annual review detailing the driver’s motor vehicle record and overall performance, must be maintained by the company employing the driver. It’s a good idea to keep the majority of this documentation on file during the driver’s duration of employment, plus an additional three years.
Documentation acknowledging the employee’s receipt of your company’s drug and alcohol policy and the results of an employee’s pre-hiring drug test are not required to be kept with the driver qualification file, but it is recommended that your company do so. Having these documents close at hand will be useful if the FMCSA contacts your company about performing an audit.
You can learn more about the requirements for driver qualification files and receive additional guidance by visiting the FMCSA website.
Let Prorate Services, LLC handle the paperwork for your driver qualification files to provide you with peace of mind that your company is meeting its legal requirements. In addition to maintaining driver qualification files, we offer a variety of other legal and tax preparation services, including random drug and alcohol testing in South Dakota, licensing, consulting, fuel tax filing, state tax filing and more. For questions or to learn more about working with us, contact us today!